Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Mission Complete Disney... She's All Yours

The Disney marketing machine is, as far as I'm concerned, the most powerful force in the life of my daughter.


More specifically, Disney Princesses have become the sole focus of her young existence. And more specifically than that, Sleeping Beauty.


I'm not quite sure how the obsession began. I use the word obsession. People throw that word around and use it when they really mean "moderate interest." I am dealing with a full blown obsession here people.


We can not enter a store without having to point out every single thing in the store that has a princess on it. There are usually about 30-40 things. She knows where all of them are in Target and delights in pointing each of them out as we race through the store. Luckily, she realizes that I am not buying them for her. (I leave that to Grandma.)


She has enough princess t-shirts that she could wear one each day of the week, which she began doing until I had to restrict her princess t-shirt wearing to 2 days a week. She looks forward to Friday and Saturday with wild abandon.


She owns many, many, many, princess things. Here's a small list:


15 books

Bike helmet

Scooter

Porcelain Sleeping Beauty

6 t-shirts

3 pair of pajamas

12 large Barbie size dolls

Large stuffed Sleeping Beauty

50+ small figures

Backpack

Lunch bag

4 water bottles

8 sippy cups
6 pool diving sticks


I could go on, but you get the idea.


We are going on a Disney Cruise in the fall and I've been told that if Sleeping Beauty isn't there, she doesn't even want to go. Please pray that she is on that ship.


Recently, I discovered that she cut her own hair (and she knows all about what happened to poor Lainey!) When I asked her why in the world she would cut her bangs that I have NEVER cut, she said she wanted to look like, you guessed it, Sleeping Beauty.


I'm trying not to be too upset about her fixation with the harmless princesses. I know that by the time she tires of them, we will be on to a new obsession... and it will most likely be boys. Oh God.


For now, I'll cope with the princesses.

7 comments:

SwD said...

Wow. Disney might appear harmless but I bet they are funding third-world governments and such. Think Endors Game or that terrible Robin Williams movie "Toys."

Remember when Molly was like two and had an issue with people laying down during the day or closing their eyes? She would scold me for napping on the floor and I would tell her I was Sleeping Beauty and needed a kiss to wake up...And when she was three and made me watch the dragon scene repeatedly for two hours while you were at Kim's wedding...funny how the obsession has continued to grow.

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I totally believe in obsessions. Brady is not obsessed with trucks! I love that she chose Sleeping Beauty! She is the coolest!

Amy J said...

Sleeping Beauty is the best as far as Ava is concerned as well. Gotta love Disney! :)

megan said...

You've gotta appreciate Molly's passion. Now if you could just channel that to something productive (no offense to sleeping beauty)....
I'm amazed Molly still associates with my girls since they've never seen a Disney movie :)

babyoog said...

Yeah, princesses are SO much safer than boys. Girls are fun! :)

Amber Greenawalt said...

We're still going strong on Buzz Lightyear over here. Siennah even has started to talk about princesses...thanks for a heads up on what I'm in for. I guess it good for them to have their heros :)

Varna said...

Oh Momma, you don't want to get me up on my Disney soap box here, but I feel your pain. I got to say Lulu LOVES playing at Molly's house though! I'm trying to be more relaxed about it, because you are right- this too shall pass!