Thursday, June 12, 2008

Better Gas Milage = Inflated Tires... Trust Me!

Because of our current gas crisis, the news is always telling us ways that we can make our gas dollar go further. One of the ways they suggest is to make sure that your tires are properly inflated. I always kind of ignore these suggestions... until now.
Yesterday, I got the kids up and had them in the bike trailer by 7:30 for our morning bike ride. We usually do about 5 miles because that's about when the snacks run out and Brody looses his mind.
At the end of mile one I was exhausted. Mile two was worse. By three and four, I thought I was having a heart attack!! As we coasted down the street back to the house, I couldn't figure out why this ride was soooo hard, considering I take the same path every time.
So I get off, get the kids out, and take a look at the bike. It seems fine. And then I look at the trailer. One of the wheels was COMPLETELY flat. As a pancake. Nothing like dragging 70 pounds behind you with only one wheel!!!
So this morning I checked the air pressure in my car tires. If my poor minivan engine is anything like my legs, it will appreciate inflated tires. I get it now Mr. News Reporter. Lesson learned and point taken.

4 comments:

The Grant Family said...

I just have to say, you need to write a book!! I can read your writings all day - they are so funny and creative.

Amy said...

Girl you crack me up!!!

Amy J said...

I'm impressed that you ride 5 miles every day! And especially with a flat tire! :)

Varna said...

tee hee, wish I could have seen you burning up your trailer rim through the neighborhood- consider it an extra tough work out though, right?