In previous posts I have voiced my displeasure of technology. It's not that I don't appreciate it because I do. The fact that I don't have to wash my family's clothes in a pot of water that I dragged from a stream and heated with a wood burning fire is not lost on me. I love my LG washer and dryer. It just seems to me that most technology that is supposed to be saving me boatloads of time and effort ends up doing just the opposite. Case and point:
My laptop is 4 years old. That's like being a 25 year old model or a 19 year old gymnist. It's just too old to be effective. However, since new laptops are not in the budget right now, I'm on to plan B... dumping everything off and starting over. So easy to say. So hard to actually follow through with.
So this weekend I began the arduous task of compling all my picture, documents, and music into files to be downloaded onto my external harddrive. It took hours, but I was able to do it. Then I started making a list of all the programs that will need to be reinstalled after the "wipeout." I spent the better part of Saturday afternoon on the phone with half the population of India discussing ways to replace Norton, Napster and, Itunes among others.
Itunes proved to be the largest pain in my rear. Long story short, Itunes will let you sync the computer to the player but not the player to the computer. I know this is probably not news to most people, but I am not most people. So I had to buy "third party software" (like some hooker in a back ally) in order to transfer the stuff on the ipod back to the computer after the dump. And then it took Drew until 10:30 PM Sunday night to actually get the program to work. What a mess. (And yes, there were tears.)
So forgive me if I sit here at my computer tonight nostalgic for the days when I would sit at my Sony tape deck happily compiling a "mix tape" of all my favorite songs. Sure, the sound quality was tinny and there was a good chance that the after market tape deck in my car would eventually eat it, but it only took about an hour, not an entire weekend. So much for technology.

2 comments:
I, too, appreciate certain technologies but computers make me crazy. I find that I am a patient person BUT not with computers. I don't understand them and I rely on my husband way too much to help me. I think that technology causes us more frustration and wastes more time than we realize. Look, I'm on the computer right now. hee hee
I thought you'd appreciate this video :) So funny
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jETv3NURwLc
Post a Comment