We do a lot of spelling in our house. As in, if we don't want Molly to know what we are talking about, Drew and I will spell to one another so she doesn't understand.
In the past few weeks, Molly has began "spelling" when she talks to me. For example, "Mom, can we go to the P-W-H-N-D? You know Mom, the pool?" Or, "Don't tell Brother about the S-T-W-I. You know, the snack."
Just recently, she is actually starting to spell words, and as luck would have it, she has learned to spell poo. You know, P-O-O.
She told me today that she told her teacher that she needed to do a P-O-O, so could she use the restroom please. I am torn between being proud of her spelling ability and mortified that her teacher knows that someone has taught her to spell poo. Can't wait to hear what the next disgusting word will be that she learns to spell.

5 comments:
Too funny! Sometimes when you don't think they are listening...They are!
Way to go, Molly! That's right up there with Dave teaching Daniel to say "poop" before he could say "mama". Why are the bathroom words so fun to say and spell???
Hey, don't be mortified that her teacher knows Molly was taught to spell p-o-o. I'm sure the teacher has heard MUCH worse. As far as the spelling things you don't want her to 'understand', it probably won't work for long. :-) My mom used to spell out all kinds of words that she thought I didn't understand when I was a little kid but I did! I just kept quiet and played ignorant because those words were more 'juicy'!
Yeah, just you wait... soon enough you won't be able to spell anything without her repeating what you've spelled right back to you. Or answering the question without a second thought as to the fact something was spelled. Then it takes new tactics... :)
Elaine, I submit this as pure evidence that your daughter is YOU! Two words for you: Broadway Musical.
Oh and PS. Remember Julie Wallace's first 4-syllable word?
Post a Comment