Thursday, September 25, 2008

In search of my handbasket...

I've looked and looked but I can't seem to find my handbasket anywhere. This is especially concerning to me because it appears that I might be needing it soon on my upcoming trip. To Hell. Courtesy of the US Government and many, many of my fellow Americans.
The state of our country's economic despair is not news to our household. Drew spends every day tracking what is going on and he has a lot of access to a lot of information thanks to his job. I hear about Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac. I hear about plummeting stocks. Layoffs. A lack of credit. Government takeovers. And I am scared. And not just for our family, but for everyone. Because apparently, we are living in a time when personal decisions have global implications.
And after last night's Presidential speech, I am now scared that the few dollars that I have in my pocket might not be worth any more than the lint. And you can't buy anything with lint. I've tried.
I don't think there's been a time in my life when I've ever felt like we might not get through this. And by we, I mean all Americans. I think that this is such a pivotal point in our country's history. We have to realize that we are all in this together. The decisions that we make as individuals will eventually affect ALL OF US! Right now, my family is okay. Drew and I are relatively smart people and we have a pretty good understanding of how the world works. We have always made what I feel are practical decisions for our family. We try to live within our means and that has always been important to us. But that is not enough anymore. The fact that your family might be in trouble is going to start to affect me.
The entire economic structure of our country is failing because of poor decisions made by many people at many levels. From way up high at the governmental level and corporate level to way down low at the individual American level. Part of me is angry because I didn't personally screw up and I shouldn't have to be paying the price for other people's mistakes. But the bigger part of me is saying that we are all human, and we all make mistakes. And whether I like it or not, we all need to start taking care of each other by being more responsible for ourselves and each other.
We live in this country with blinders on. We are Americans and by God we are going to do what we want to do when we want to do it and to hell with anyone that tells us differently. It's a free country, right??
Yeah, it doesn't seem like this "American" attitude is working anymore. About anything. About the economy, the environment, healthcare, education, etc. You can not just do whatever it is that you want to do without thinking about how it's going to affect the millions of other Americans that are going to have to eventually live with your decision. We are all in this together. We are all connected. We all have to collectively THINK before we make our decisions from now on. We are living now with what happens when we don't. I can only pray that we come out of this wiser and more aware of how connected we really are.
And please let me know if you see my handbasket... I'll be happy to share it with you. It might be a rocky ride.

7 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

We must be on the same wave lenght. Read my latest blog entry!I'm up reading blogs at midnight because I keep calling local gas stations. I have almost no gas.

Beth said...

Amen!

SwD said...

Amen. Somehow the ideals of our forefathers, with an emphasis on freedom, morphed into "You're not the boss of me, I can do what I want." We went from a country banning together against tyranny to a country of selfish, self-absorbed individuals obsessed with instant gratification. So many people act without forethought as to how their actions might affect others.

Pardon me while I quickly go the religious route. Perhaps part of our problem is that we decided spirituality had no place in our government, education system, corporate world, etc. You cut out religion and you cut out the one common theme that binds all of them (Christianity, Judaism, Muslim/Islam, Buddhist, etc): Do unto others as you would have done unto you. We severed America from the Golden Rule and our cut-throat society is now biting us in the rear.

I will keep my eyes open for your handbasket. Please leave room for me in it.

Kimmy P said...

I hear you! Jay and I have a small house. It is big enough for us, Jayson and our 2 dogs. We couldn't house another person and/or dog if we wanted to. We have the smallest house of anyone that we know. We chose this house because we knew that we could afford the house and also afford to do the extra things that we like to do.
We have always lived our lives within our means and now we are going to be held responsible for everyone that hasn't.
I am starting to think that buying whatever we want and then filing for bankruptcy is the better choice and that's just stupid!!!!!

Varna said...

Girl I won't let you go! Ironically, traveling by hand basket may become the new mode of travel since I can't get any gas for my mini van. Next steps to take at home: 2 holsteins for the back yard, homeschooling and a self sustaining garden, want to join me? I'm sure cows fall under 'household pets' in the HOA, right??

ODonnell Family Blog said...

With the news of Wachovia's buyout today...I will be joining you in your handbasket!

These banks have made such bad decisions. Who's to blame? The morgage companies for giving people loans that they couldn't afford, or the people who got the loan and were unsure they could pay it in the first place? Those of us who are not living above our means are now suffering. My husband and many others may lose their jobs because of big headed CEO's and lack of common sense among our fellow Americans.

Should it be the American Dream to own your own home? Maybe not. It should be the American Dream be free and try to live a good and honest life.

This soapbox is crowded!! It should be!!

SwD said...

http://cagle.com/news/WallStreetBailout/4.asp

The cartoon by Jeff Parker is my favorite thus far...