Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fifteen Again

Here I am, pushing 33 (gasp) and I didn't realize how encapsulated I've become in my grown up life as a mom and wife until last Friday night.
Many of you know, we braved Hurricane Hanna down in Myrtle Beach last weekend. She arrived just as we drove in, and by about 10:30 that night, she was hitting full force. In an effort to keep the minivan from getting destroyed by the storm surge or any falling trees (how responsible), Drew and I headed out into the storm to move it further inland. Needless to say, we got drenched. When we got back into the condo we were soaked and freezing and as we were stripping down to put on dry clothes Drew says to me, "We're already wet, we might as well go swimming." And I said, "Yeah, naked."
Our eyes met and there was a burst of excitement that 10 years of marriage has a way of blurring. Drew says, "No Elaine, just kidding." And I say, "I'm going. Are you coming?"
After a moment of not talking, he finally says, "Well, at least put a suit on."
We ran down to the beach like two little kids. It was raining upwards so hard that we could barely see. The waves were rough. The wind was so strong that we had trouble standing up. The water was hot, like bath water. Drew refused to come in the water, fearing for his life and not wanting to leave his children fatherless. I, however, ran in, full steam with reckless abandon. The type I had many years ago. Before sanity set in. In a moment of pure silliness, I pulled my top of and ran into the angry ocean like a free woman. It was amazing.
I will probably never have the opportunity to swim naked in the ocean during a hurricane ever again. My 15 year old self would have been proud of me. And my 33 year old self is pretty proud of me too.
PS - My sister was asleep with the kids while all this was going on. I did not leave them alone while I was out frolicking. What kind of irresponsible person do you think I am!? : )

10 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

That is AWESOME, Elaine! That must have been a freakin' blast! You go!

Kimmy P said...

You, wild woman, you! Too funny! And I cannot believe that you've been married for 10 years already. I prefer to think that we haven't even been out of high school for that long!

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Very adventurous of you! Hey - it was Drew's idea to go swimming in the first place!! ;)

SwD said...

But if I had come along...man, I wish I had. I was so zonked out. Totally would have skinny dipped with you. We will try again next year!

melissa said...

I am so glad you made it back. I was worried all weekend for you! I feel like your mother...Melissa C

Beth said...

Oh awesome!!! Now I need to find something adventurous to do. Like... the laundry. That takes a certain level of reckless abandon.

Amy J said...

That will be something you'll remember forever! :)

megan said...

I'm jealous of your wildness :) That's something that neither my 29 year old self nor my 15 year old self would have done! You can live it up for the both of us :)

Amber Greenawalt said...

So cool!

Nic said...

The beach and the moonlight have this crazy way of getting even the most sensible of us to take our bathing suits off! Way to go, wild woman. You've still got spunk!