Sunday, July 27, 2008

Not Dead Yet

Those of you who know me from my youth, know I am a swimmer. I am a swimmer because I am not a runner. I would prefer 100 laps in the pool to 10 minutes on the treadmill.

Drew is the runner in the family. He has run several marathons and run half marathons with 80 pound rucksacks on his back. He, however, can not swim. Therefore, we don't do a lot of working out together.

In a effort to spend some more "quality time" together as a family, I suggested that I could probably manage a 5K as long as Drew ran with me for emotional support with the kids in the stroller. My goal was to finish in under 45 minutes with no walking and have my last 1/2 mile be the fastest.

Yesterday, I completed my goal at the James K Polk 5K in Pineville. We finished as a family in 36:02 and I can honestly say I was not too winded and probably could have gone on at least another couple of miles.

Stay tuned for the upcoming post: "Elaine Finishes Her First 10K"

(Also, Molly ran in her first fun run! She was smiling ear to ear, even though she ran "in the back like mommy!")

10 comments:

Carainn said...

way to go. :)

Family time and running what more could your family ask for.

megan said...

Yay!! So glad everyone was well enough to participate!

Varna said...

Congrats to all 4 of you! How was the mega stroller?

SwD said...

Congrats! You know, the family that runs together...is ready for the get-away after committing crime together??? Seriously, you guys are awesome...and at times sickening in your perfection. But I love you anyway.

Jennifer B. said...

Good for you! :-)

Unknown said...

varna! the stroller was awesome and i'm so glad we had it! it poured but with the plastic cover, the kids stayed dry (even though we didn't!)

Nic said...

Way to go...I'm SO impressed! When's Drew going to take up swimming?

Kimmy P said...

Way to go! You're so much more motivated than some of us!

Lucinda said...

Hi Elaine,
I'm Amber Greenawalt's friend and I met you last October when I was in town visiting. I sometimes browse her friends' blogs to read up on cool things everyone is doing, and I had to say Congrats on completing your 5k. It's a fantastic accomplishment! I also started running last year around this time so I know how exciting it is. Happy running!
Sincerely,
Lucinda From Florida

Lucinda said...

Oops, I meants to write that I visited last August, not October...we're planning a trip to visit again this october.