For the first time in many years, I am at peace and it is 3 days before Christmas. I know, peace and Christmas should but usually don't go together. But this year, I am ready and I am excited to actually enjoy the holiday. I am literally giddy about how the kids are going to react to what's going to be under the tree Christmas morning.
I scaled back this year. Way back. I didn't mail cards. I bought fewer presents for fewer people. I only baked what was completely necessary. I took time to enjoy the decorating and actually accepted help from Drew and Molly. I am making a small "no frills" dinner for Christmas Eve and we're eating the leftovers for Christmas. That's right people, you heard it here... leftovers for Christmas because I don't feel like cooking. I feel like enjoying.
I plan on finishing the wrapping tonight. Then the only preparations left are packing us all up for the trip north to visit the families. Even the thought of the 10 hour drive doesn't seem that bad anymore.
So with all these good feelings I'm having, there's really only one question that begs to be asked... what is Drew slipping into my ice cream every night that's putting me in such a happy mood??!! I'm off to search for the hidden bottle of Prozac.

5 comments:
Good for you, Elaine! Sometimes less is more!
awesome! I've forced myself to go simple with the food this year, too-- and that's hard when you're expecting nearly 20 people at your house. But a lot has to do with lowering your expectations for yourself and how things *should* be.
Low key definitely makes for a more enjoyable holiday. You can sit in the glow of the tree and listen to carols without feeling like you should be doing something.
What made Christmas extra-special this year was Scott. Making it "FEEL" like Christmas for him helped us both be in the mood for the season. He is also such a generous person that we did a lot of donating such as picking out gifts for the elderly. And that felt amazing.
Merry Christmas! And safe travels too! We are feeling calm over too, sometimes attributed to the lack of an infant in the house at the moment!
I know exactly what you mean! I think God was really looking out for me that I did my shopping (and there was muck less of it this year) back in October. I'm surprised I'm not stressed. All that is important is that we are together :)Wishing you a warm and wonderful Christmas! love and hugs--A
Post a Comment