Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Texas Children

As both a mother and advocate for children over the years, I feel compelled to put my 2 cents out there about what is going on in Texas with the polygamist sect children.

I've watched on TV both sides of this controversy. I've read about it online and in the paper. And I just can't stop thinking about those 400 children and how scared they must be right now.

I absolutely believe that the men of this "religious" group are sick, and have been raised generation after generation to be so. The women also are brainwashed and have been institutionalized to the point that they no longer feel that it is unusual for their "husband" to take advantage of young children. I don't agree with polygenism (however, any woman that can cook and clean and give me the night off is welcome to spend some time alone with Drew... wink, wink!) but once you are an adult, you are free to make your own mistakes and who am I to judge? What I can't condone is the lifestyle in which these young men and women grow up thinking that it's okay to fondle children.

All of that being said, when I read this morning that they have put at least 100 of these kids in foster homes already, before DNA testing, before due process can even begin to work out this tangled mess, I felt just sick. As a mom, I can't imagine my 2 babies being ripped from me. I can't imagine how scared and alone they would be and how much they would miss me. I realize that the situation at the "compound" is probably not a safe environment, but how about letting the mothers and children stay together in some sort of shelter facility until things get sorted out. Or, send them back home and remove the sick bastard men! If anyone should be punished preemptively, it seems to me that they should be the ones bearing the burden, not the innocent children.

I am scared that the leaders of this country feel that this is the best way to "protect" these children when quite obviously, from the outside looking in, they may very well be doing as much harm as the own members of their community. I will pray for these kids that they will be back with their mothers soon and in a place that will be safe for all those involved.

5 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Well said.

What I don't understand is how did the "authorities" let it get this out of hand. I mean 400 children!! That's the size of an elementary school. Argh!

SwD said...

Ditto Elaine! The sect is twisted but don't bring additional harm to the children by removing them from their mothers before any guilt has been found...

Interesting report just came in...they have a suspect for the "child" who made the original call...a 33 year old woman in Colorado Springs who has done the same thing two other times at least...posing as a child each time.

So, these children have been ripped from their mothers possibly because of a "prank call." And I don't want to think of the atrocities that go on in many foster homes...

Amy J said...

I agree, Elaine. It completely breaks my heart for the moms and children. I think the moms and children should have been kept together... but off the polygamist property. At least until they can better sort out the circumstances.

Tracy said...

Exactly what I was thinking. My heart aches for those children. I like the idea of kicking the men out and letting the women and children stay at the "compound" until everything is worked out.

Amber Greenawalt said...

I totally agree. Another insightful post from Elaine :) I love getting my adult stimulation from you...gets the Nick Jr. theme songs a rest in my brain. Do you guys watch the show "Big Love" from HBO? If not make a trip to Blockbuster tonight!! Brian and I got hooked last summer. It's such a strange yet fascinating world, polygamy.