I went through a ton of infertility treatments to conceive Brody, and Molly came to all my doctor's appointments. Therefore, I felt it was necessary to explain to her about babies and where they come from.
I told her that when a Mommy and a Daddy love each other and want a baby, they let God know and when God is ready, He will put a baby in the Mommy's tummy. She accepted my explanation and has never questioned further.
So on Friday she says to me, very distraught, "Now that God is dead, who is going to make the babies??"
And I said, "What do you mean God is dead?" (Has she secretly been reading Nietzsche on the side??!!)
She proceeds to explain to me that they talked in school about Easter and about how Jesus died on the cross and he went to heaven. And Jesus really is God and so God is dead.
Where is the parent's instruction book on this question??!!! I did my best to explain about the death and resurrection of the soul, but how do you explain about these things to a 4 year old? In the end, she understands that God is not dead, but is up in heaven watching over and taking care of us. And making new babies everyday. She was relieved.
I think now I am going to go sit Brody down and have a little talk about where babies come from . I'll just tell him about sex because it's got to be easier to explain than death and resurrection, right?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Too funny! Don't you love the questions a 4 year old comes up with! Their thought processes are amazing!
Ah, the tangled webs parents weave.
My mom had the talk with me when I was 8. Since she was a sex ed teacher, she gave quite an involved presentation. I think there was an overhead projector involved.
Little Molly has Big questions!!
Post a Comment