Friday, March 28, 2008

7 Months

That's how long we have until W. will be out and someone new will be in. I would love to feel relieved, but I just don't.
I love this country I really do. I feel blessed to live here and glad that I am raising my family in a country like ours. Drew spent 8 years of his life defending it and I am so proud of him for that. I have lived in quite a few states, visited most of them, and spent time travelling overseas as well, and I can honestly say our country is worth fixing. Because right now I think it's broken.
Seriously, we're not in good shape people. And the worst part for me is that I really don't think there is any one person (at least not who is going to be on the ballot in November) who is going to be able to fix it all. There's just too frickin' much gone haywire.
Here's my short list of things that could use some "tweaking" around here:
1. Healthcare. Lots don't have it and those of us who do are paying through the nose for sub par care. And let's be honest... it's not really "health"care at all, it's "sick" care. I don't know what the solution is, and I don't think the 3 lunatics (and I use this term in the most respectful way) up for the positions do either. It just smacks me as idiotic that the insurance companies in this country are publicly traded and therefore obligated to their shareholders to turn a profit. Seems to me like this little caveat might be a good place to start.
2. The environment. We're killing it. And Joe Schmoe doesn't care. So we have to make him care by taxing him out the wazzoo for making a mess. (Also, on a little personal tirade, it pisses me off when I see neighbors who I know have access to free curbside recycling not using it. For the love on God people, how hard is it??!!)
3. Gas. It's too expensive and it destroys the environment and we need some other way to power this country. We can put a man on the moon but we can't figure out something better than a gas powered engine??!! Come on. Just shows you how deeply are elected officials are into the gas companies pockets.
4. Immigration. Welcome to our country. Love it and respect it. Get a job and pay taxes like the rest of us please.
5. The WAR. What a mess. Again, I have no answer except a time machine that would send us straight back to 2003 and let us rewrite history so that we never end up where we are.
6. The economy. R.E.C.E.S.S.I.O.N. You knew it was coming people. It's called an economic cycle for a reason. Do I think any of the illustrious senators can pull us out? God, I hope so. (Oh, and thanks for my whopping rebate check by which to spur the economy George. I'll try not to spend it all in one place.)
7. Mortgage crisis. You reap what you sow. Yet another thing pulling us down.
8. Education. There are no words.
I could go on and on with this list, but I have a point and here it comes. Are we crazy to think that one person is going to solve all of these problems. Heck yeah. It's way too much for just one person. And I don't care what they think, each and every one of the men and woman who has run in the election is just HUMAN!! There is no plate big enough. And I don't think anyone should have to think about fixing all of these things at the same time.
So, if someone died and I became master of the universe, here's what I would do. I would elect them all. All 10-12 of them that threw their hats in in the beginning. And each of them would get one thing. Just one. And for the next four years your job would be to find a solution to your one problem that makes everyone happy. Not just Democrats. Not just Republicans. Not just city folks. Not just country farmers. EVERYONE. And don't be worrying about what the others are doing. It's not your business. Just tackle your issue.
Ughhh. Well, it felt good to get that out. I hope I haven't offended anyone with my opinions. It's just the way I see things. Now off to not think about all of this anymore. Maybe not for another 7 months.

6 comments:

megan said...

Hoping that "someone" dies so you become master of the universe and can put your political plan in place ;) Sounds good to me!

SwD said...

Rock on! Ditto on everything...especially 2 and 3 but you know how I feel about the environment. What is amazing is how many of those problems are linked...or could potentially be linked. Environment, gas and economics...working on reducing the need for gasoline would help the environment, create new jobs and help us to limit our involvement in the Middle East. Additionally, if we had a better environment, it would help to lessen many diseases that are aggravated or caused by pollution and climate change (allergies, asthama, types of cancer, tropical diseases spread by mosquitoes, etc).

Immigration...if people are willing to risk their lives to come here, let them. And like you said, then they can pay taxes!! That might help the 53 trillion dollar debt our country has...Having lived in a third world country, I know worthy people (people with more motivation and work ethic than many natural-born citizes) who would love to come to our country but find our doors locked, gated and armed...so much for "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" enscribed upon the Statue of Liberty and describing the condition of our ancestors when they arrived on this great shore...

Our government is supposed to be for the people and of the people...and somehow "the people" are now minimally involved. We need to take back control of our government and our country. I guess for now, however, the law of entropy is proving true as our country falls in power and greatness with each passing year...

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Well said, Elaine! Well said! Can I write your name in on the ballot in November?

Carainn said...

I will vote for you.
Way to go! Round on the next 7 months :)

Varna said...

That's my girl, go get 'em Elaine. I love the political banter in the playroom.

babyoog said...

How I wish Thomas Jefferson would spring up from his grave!

The plans the FF's had for this country were far from perfect, but they were exquisitely simple. With all our tinkering, we've made an unholy mess, where left and right hands are not only ignorant of each other, but are often working at cross purposes.

The more we try to make the system fair, the more loopholes we create for the rich and powerful, including the world's biggest polluters. It's the little guy who gets stuck with it.

Think it's over-reaching to say the W. administration seeks to serve the corporations? I can tell you first hand that tax law is being informally rewritten every day to the benefit of the corporations. It's disgusting.

Sigh...I guess I should write my own post instead of commented ad nauseum here... Thanks Elaine!