Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Deep South

My friend Nicola told me that this story was "blog-worthy," so here goes:

Yesterday, I walked in on Molly and Drew having a heated discussion. Molly was repeating the same word over and over and Drew could not figure out for the life of him what she was talking about.

The word was Sic-CANS with the emphasis on the CANS.

Molly was so frustrated with Drew. It reminded my of how our lives where when she was just starting to talk at 9 months and we couldn't understand a word she said. There were a lot of tears.

I joined the conversation as Molly finally had an epiphany. She said, "You know Daddy... hours, minutes, sic-CANS???!!!

Oh my goodness, she was trying to say SECONDS. And then it dawned on me. With a deep southern accent (like half the teachers at school have) the word seconds does in fact sound like sic-CANS.

Perhaps we need a vacation north??!!

1 comment:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I know how you feel! I'm born and raised in the south and don't have an accent but my kids do! Brady always wants to go fill the van up with Gaaus. Oh my!