Seventeen.
That's how many scars I have on my body. I never stopped to count them until the other day when Drew bet that he had more scars than I do.
I had seventeen. (He lost.)
Some are long and ugly. Some are small and barely noticeable. Some of them I've had for years. My most recent is only 5 months old. Some have great stories behind them. Some were gotten quite mundanely. I have scars from bringing life into the world and I have scars from the cancer that tried to take mine. There's a scar from where I was bitten by a dog and there are three scars from bailing off my bike - three separate times.
And to tell you the truth, I rarely even think about them. Sometimes I see them when I look in the mirror and I acknowledge that my canvas is flawed, but I really consider them to be more like badges I've earned from the life I've led. I know that I can be covered in scars and still be beautiful.
Which brings me to a website I came across yesterday called Operation Beautiful.
Please take a few minutes of your day to read about their mission and what they do and how you can do it too with a simple post it note. The whole project started as a way for the writer to end her weight insecurities and help her end negative self talk about her body, but I think (as do many others) that it can be about so much more than weight. Everyone has something that bothers them about their appearance, and in a world so obsessed with how you look over who you are, the Operation Beautiful post-its are a wonderful little reminder to each of us that what really matters isn't on the outside.
I hung my very first (of hopefully many) Operation Beautiful post-it today. I'm not going to say where because that would ruin the fun. But if you are local and do happen to find it, know that what it says is true... YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!
We all are.
Just the way we are.
Scars and all.

1 comment:
Great post!
Post a Comment