Sometimes life can be really slow. Like when you are waiting the nine months to meet the baby growing inside you. Or the weeks leading up to a really great vacation. Or waiting for the brownies to cool.
But mostly life moves fast. Too fast. And here I am wondering what happened to the last 5 1/2 years of my life. Just yesterday I was confined to a hospital bed in the high risk unit of the maternity ward petrified of what being born at 31 weeks was going to mean for my little baby. And here I am today, sprinting through Target with my beautiful little girl happily shopping for school supplies and dresses (only dresses) and new shoes. When did she get old enough to go to school? (And when did I get old enough to have a kid in school?)
It isn't like starting kindergarten is coming as a surprise. We all know it's been coming for a while now. When preschool ended in the spring, I knew I was going to have to savor each moment of this last summer before we enter the realm of "parents with school age children." A world where years are divided into 2 parts - summer and everything else. I just didn't know it was going to come so fast.
And more surprising is how really really sad I am about the whole thing. I figured by the time school started this August that we would all be ready to head our separate ways. That we could all use a break from one another. But it just isn't the case. Molly and Brody have grown so much as brother and sister this summer. Then genuinely enjoy spending time together. And I am having a very hard time wrapping my head around not having Molly around every day. She is my constant companion. The happy little voice from the back seat of the car joyfully prattling on about nothingness. The silly girl who asks me a thousand questions a day seemingly just to drive me insane. My big helper. My best little buddy. My shadow. And now she is going to be away from me for over 6 hours a day. Who's idea was this school thing???
I know that the time has come. I can't keep her all to myself forever. I must share her brilliance and her spunkiness and her silliness with the rest of the world. This is, after all, why I had her. To make the world a better place... and not just my world.
So in exactly 2 weeks from today, you get your hands on her world. Please be gentle with her. And patient. And don't change her too much. I know she will eventually lose her childhood innocence, but please let her be for just a little while longer. Send her back to me in one piece and maybe, just maybe, I'll let you have Brody in a few years.

6 comments:
Beautifully put! And just so you know, it doesn't get any easier....here I am crying about first grade! Boo hoo!
omg just beautiful... first off love the new blog template.. secondly always smile when I hear that There Might be Giants song.. My BF back home loves them .. so they remind me of her!
And this post.. its just beautiful! Molly is just awesome... and she will bring so much to the new school. Oh what we experience as mothers... I have questions for you on school but will email you. hugs can not wait to hear all about the Big K, Gigi
YEAH MOLLY..
Well put. This is going to be such an exciting year for all of you. I hope Molly loves school as much as Jacod does. Kindergarten was so much fun for all of us. One piece of advice...get involved! At this age they love to have Mommy come into the classroom and help. Ok - another piece of advice...wait until you get back to the car to cry!! Stay strong!
Thats so sweet. I cant even imagine how sad I will be when Blake starts the big K. Oh they grow so fast.
I'm crying now! I am going to miss my baby too. Sniff, Sniff...
Give my girl a big hug and tell her Aunt Laura says, "Love you!"
And maybe, just maybe, by the time Brody starts school, I will be living in the south and have a child of my own...that can keep YOU company all day and be your shadow...while the dad and I work to pay the bills. :) Or, of course, you could always have another... :)
Post a Comment