Friday, August 21, 2009

Tears... finally.



So Molly's first day of school went off without a hitch yesterday. The size of her backpack almost kept her from getting in the door, but once inside she was all business. Right to work and not even a goodbye to her mother. Okay. Since she was strong, I was too. No crying.


This morning, I dropped her off at the door and she happily skipped into the building. No wave. No backward glance to see if I was still there (I was). Nothing. Brody cried hysterically after her to come back, but I thankfully held myself together.


Until this afternoon. At pick up, one of the other teachers brought her to the car. She climbed inside and off we went. Then I noticed her teacher running after the car, arms flailing to wave me down. My stomach sank. What could Molly have done in a few short hours that would cause the teacher to come running after me? I stopped and rolled down the window.


Her teacher smiled and told me that she couldn't let the weekend begin with out letting me know what a sweet little girl I have and that she's never met another student with such nice manners. "You've certainly done a wonderful job with her," she said.


And finally I cried. I gave her the nicest thank you I could muster and then had to pull the car to the side to have a good cry.


We all want our kids to be smart and to do well academically in school, but I don't know if she gets straight A's from now until graduate school if I will ever feel so honored to be Molly's mom.

5 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Oh my gosh!! You should be so proud of Molly AND yourself!

Beth said...

Oh my gosh. That is so sweet. I hope to meet Molly some day... you need to share your secrets as I hear at pick up lately that Ally is singing the "twinkle twinkle little poopy" song again!

Anonymous said...

What a nice compliment. So I guess she hasn't broken out the potty talk yet? ;) Kudos to you and Drew for teaching her such good manners. And you thought she'd get kicked out of school! :)

Gigi Pov said...

Ok So I am crying too. SHOCKER I KNOW. But so beautiful.. I know that feeling of holding it in. So often I think, " I don't want the boys to see me cry...".... what a hugs week in your family. And yes you have done an incredible job with Molly. She is one of those kids you meet and you think to yourself..."Wow she is a great kid"! Go ahead and cry and be soooo FREAKIN PROUD of her and YOU! You got her to this point!

Varna said...

You are a great mom and molly's a great kid. Sounds like you have a cool teacher too!