Sunday, October 5, 2008

I Swam, I Biked, I Ran in 56:54... Now I Need A Nap!

This morning I participated in the Ramblin' Rose Triathlon in Huntersville, NC. My dad and I arrived at 6:30 AM and I got ready in the dark. Bike, helmet, shoes, jacket, and gear in the transition area, chip on, and numbers marked all over my body (including a big 32 on the back of my leg for my AGE... nice.) A little before 8, the rest of the family arrived, and at 8:21 AM I got in the water.

When I started training for this back in April, my goal was just to finish. I could not run a mile. I had to walk. I didn't have a bike. And I hadn't swam a lap since before Molly was born. Today, not only did I finish, I actually did well. My bike was definitely my worst part. Out of 568 women who participated this morning, I was 282nd in the bike (30:38). But my swim and run were awesome. I was 78th in the run (17:17) and 55th in the swim (4:52)!!!! It felt so good to be a competitor today. I'm already searching for my next one.

And for those of you who have said to me "I can't even walk a mile or ride a bike." I say, "Yes, you can." I was just like you 5 months ago... but now I'm a triathlete. So, who wants to train with me for next year??!!

Here are some pictures of the race, and the link http://www.setupevents.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=event_results&id=1097 if you want to see my results. I was 155th overall.



















10 comments:

Carainn said...

WOW you are amazing.

Beth said...

What an inspiration! I am so proud of you, congratulations!!!

melissa said...

What a great inspiration and example you are to you family. You just gave me srength for my 40 miles this month. Congrats GIRL!! melissa c

Varna said...

Go girl! Awesome job and what a great example you are living for your kiddos! Triathlete!

Amy J said...

That is awesome, Elaine! That picture of you waving to Molly has me a little teary. What an accomplishment.

megan said...

I'm SOOO proud of you! I'll join you next time, since I'm one of those "I can't run a mile" girls :)

SwD said...

Way to go! You rock!

Nic said...

I'm so impressed!! I'm VERY tempted to join you next year. Can I substitute the swimming for rowing though?

Kimmy P said...

You are the woman! Congratulations! What a great accomplishment!

ODonnell Family Blog said...

Elaine - I'm so impressed! You inspire me!