Each year in our family we make a conscious choice not to make New Year's Resolutions. Instead, we set attainable goals for the year. What are we going to do and get done? It's one thing I really love about our family. We don't sit around talking about when and if we are going to do things, we just go ahead and do them. This year's list includes another trip to Disney, enrolling Molly in Faith Formation classes, pressure washing the house, giving more time to others in need, and marathons and triathlons for Drew and I.
The year after I had Brody I set the goal of "reclaiming my body." After 5 years of forcing my body to try and get pregnant, be pregnant and feed resulting babies, I decided it was time to take back my body for me. I spontaneously spent $75 and signed myself up for the Ramblin' Rose Triathlon having never run over a mile in my life. Once the money was spent, I had no choice but to force my body to do whatever it had to do to finish that race.
And of course, I got hooked. I've competed in over a dozen races since then and can officially say that I have "reclaimed" my body. It's amazing what this vessel that God gives you is capable of doing. Just when you think you can't take another step... you can.
So I am currently training for my first half marathon. On good days, I feel like it will be no problem at all. And on the other days, I wonder how I will force myself to keep going. Thirteen miles seems daunting to me, especially when the longest I've run to date is an hour. I know I'm going to need to keep going twice that. And then keep going some more.
And what's funny about this training is that it's forced me to think about my body as a machine that I need to fuel. If I am going to need to continue to move for two and a half hours (because let's be honest, I'm not setting any speed records!) I need the right fuel. And my body is starting to crave the right fuel... proteins, good carbs, veggies. (I don't know if it needs mint chocolate chip ice cream, but it's getting that too.) I've become very conscious about the things that I eat. Is this food fuel for my body or just something yummy? Strangely, a lot of times, it's both! Except the ice cream of course : )
Anyway, hopefully in 8 weeks I will be able to post a picture of me crossing the finish line and will be able to officially cross one of my 2010 goals off my list. Until then, I'll be the one with ice on her knees munching on turkey jerky.

1 comment:
Good for you. I am glad your body is a machine that properly uses its fuel.
Post a Comment