Saturday, January 16, 2010

My Baby The Big Boy

This past week I took Brody into school to ask when enrollment forms would be available for preschool next year. Two of the preschool teachers happened to be in the office at the time and came to talk to Brody. Shy, as always, Brody refused to smile or look at them. They asked him if he was ready to come to school and he replied, "school, go potty."
Every afternoon as we sit in the car line to pick up Molly, Brody watches the children on the playground longingly. Each day I tell him that if he wants to go to school someday he will have to start using the potty. So to him, going to school equals going to the potty, thus his response. The teachers agreed that yes, if he wants to go to school, he will indeed need to use the potty.
I thought this was the end of the conversation until the next day, in the pick up line, Brody announced that he was "ready use potty go to school." We talked about what that meant and he agreed that he was ready to give up his diapers and start to use the potty.
Fast forward to the Wal-Mart 2 days later. We bought pull-ups (for naps), Spiderman underpants, Cars underpants, a kitchen timer, 2 bottles of Kids and Pets carpet cleaner, and a Lightning McQueen car as a prize. Ready to go.
Day one did not go well. Day two did not go much better. But we are staying the course and praying for a miracle on day three.
While we are shut in as a family pursuing the fine art of human waste elimination, Drew decided to clean out the attic. As he was pulling out box after box, he came across Molly's old "big girl bed." We looked at each other and decided as long as he was pulling it out of the attic, and as long as we were turning Brody into a big boy, and since he's been officially "way to big" for a crib for at least 6 months, we might as well kill two milestones in one weekend. So the crib was taken out and the twin bed was put in to Brody's room. Moving Molly out of the crib involved a lot of pomp and circumstance. Not so much for poor Brody. Here's your bed kid. Go to sleep.
As I sit here tonight I wonder if I should consider broaching the Holy Grail of toddler milestones... elimination of the pacifier. Should I attempt the "Potty Training, Big Boy Bed, Pacifier Removal" Trifecta??
Yeah, I'm not that stupid. Save the pacifier for next weekend.

5 comments:

The Baur Family said...

HA! I potty trained Emma back in Septemer and Marc kept wanting me to do the paci at the same time. I told him that was ridiculous, one thing at a time. So far, we still aren't rid of the dang thing. She may be going to college with it in her mouth.....

Amy said...

For tackling two in one weekend, you are super woman, but all three...... ha!!!I wouldn't even attempt it! :) As you know I just took Grayson's and he's well a few months past three so you got a little more time for it!!! Way to go on the potty and bed though!!

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I'm exhausted just reading this! Potty training, boxes in the attic, big boy bed, pacifires..oh my! Jacob was 3 1/2 before giving up his binky. I wish you luck on that one! ;)

Karen said...

Way to go Brody! I long for the day when we are a diper-free family. Good luck!

Beth said...

I hope it went well... those are big transitions! I'm sure you're doing great. I secretly think winter is a great time to potty train... if you're stuck inside for the weather, well, why not?