Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Feeling Blessed

I'm sitting on the floor right now, surrounded by my address book, envelopes and Christmas cards and I can't believe another year has gone by. This time last year we made the decision not to send Christmas cards. We knew 2009 was going to be a rough year which would probably include a layoff, so with every penny counting, we decided to forgo the annual tradition of sending cards. We held back from our usual charitable contributions. We cut back on all of our compulsive spending habits. And most of our presents for the kids were "already loved." We were preparing for the worst.
Well, the worst came. Drew was laid off in May. But by the grace of God and his wonderful boss, he picked up a new position before his severance was even over. And so as uncertain as the first half of 2009 was, the second half has been that much sweeter by comparison. And for that I am feeling very grateful this holiday season.
I sit here knowing that we dodged a bullet that many other families have not. I know that we are a stronger family for the challenges we've faced this year. I have never felt so blessed for all that I have in my life. And none of it is stuff.
And I have this feeling inside me this holiday that I need to give. Give to anyone who is in need. So that's what I've been doing. None of us are promised tomorrow. I can't know that we might not face the same challenges in 2010 that we faced this past year. But what I do know is that for now, we are okay. And I can't help but want to help those who aren't.
So once the envelopes are stuffed and stamped, I'm off to my closet to empty out clothes for someone who might be in need. And maybe Drew's closet too, but that will be our secret.

1 comment:

Varna said...

Ditto, sister, same wild roller coaster over here for 2009! We are so blessed and so lucky, let's pass it on.