We are all in this together.
In between Handy Manny and HGTV's House Hunters, I do try and watch the news. I like to pretend that it keeps my brain from turning completely to goo.
And of course there is a lot going on in the news. You'd have to be living under the proverbial rock not to realize that our country is at a pivotal point in its history. As frightening as it is to watch it unfold, it's also kind of exciting.
I think I've said before that I am a registered Republican. With that being said I am not ashamed to say that both Drew and I voted for Obama in this past election. There were many reasons and most of them had nothing to do with our family personally. We felt like the good of the entire nation was at stake.
When I watch the news I can't help wishing that I had a time machine so that I could go back and possibly "fix" things. I would go back 25 years and teach everyone about proper credit card spending. Remember the days when you were offered 15 credit cards a day and they never once asked if you were employed or had any means of ever actually paying for any purchases? Oh yeah, good times. I'll never forget the girl I worked summers with that was so excited when she received her first card statement. She couldn't believe that she spend $400 but only had to pay $15!!!! Seriously, she didn't realize that she did eventually have to pay all of it (probably at 26% interest.) Anyway, I would go back and call out the banks that offered this ridiculous credit to those who had no business having it, and I would teach everyone about not abusing credit.
Then, I would go back to the time when good ole President Bush told everyone that homeownership was an attainable part of the American dream. There are so many people to blame for our country's current housing (and economic) crisis. President Bush. (I can find a way to blame him for just about everything if I think hard enough!) The banks who lent money to people who had no way to ever pay a mortgage. The real estate agents who convinced everyone that floating mortgages and ARMs where a smart decision, because then you could get yourself in to a $300,000 house instead of the $175,000 house you could really afford (and then they could rack in the extra fees!) The idiotic people in this country who bought the pile of crap that everyone was handing them. The list goes on and on...
I have a point and I'm getting to it now. A lot of private citizens, corporations, legislators, etc have screwed up in the last 20 years. Did Drew and I personally screw up? No. We have always used credit wisely. We live within our means. We took a mortgage we could afford and bought houses we could afford. So no, we are not personally responsible for the gigantic mess this country is in. One could argue then that we are then not responsible for helping to clean up the mess.
Unfortunately, if only people who made the messes were responsible for cleaning them up, what a garbage dump we'd all live in. Take our playroom for example. Do I make the mess? NO! Molly and Brody are the offenders. However if I counted on them to clean up their own toy mess everyday, I'm sure today you wouldn't be able to get in the door. Oh well, you might say. It's their playroom, let them play in their own filth. Yeah, that would work well except for the fact that I HAVE TO LIVE THERE TOO!
And it's the same with our country. If we want the US to be a nice, clean, friendly, CIVILIZED place to live, we need to all pitch in... even if we didn't make the mess. We are only as strong as the weakest of our citizens. And if 30-40% (or 50-60%) of our country's citizens are struggling, then what does that mean for the rest of us that aren't. It means we soon will be. If the houses in my neighborhood start going quickly into foreclosure, what does that mean for the health of my neighborhood? I want a nice place to raise my family and it's not going to be nice if half my neighbors have to leave their homes. When layoffs start coming in earnest, what does that mean for the places I like to patronize and the services I like to subscribe to. It means they will go away and things will get worse for everyone. Our quality of life in this country for all of us will reach new lows.
So I am optimistic about the plans Obama has for our country. Will they work? Who knows. Will there be people who will abuse the system and the help the government is offering. Hell yeah. There are always those people who leech off those who are trying to be helpful. But should that stop us from helping out those who are truly in need?
I want this country to be great again. I want to raise my children in a place where work is meaningful, their money is worth something and so is their integrity. If we allow half of our country to crumble, it's going to pull the other half with it and then nothing any of us have worked so hard for will be worth anything. I can't see letting that happen.
I'm going to end by saying something that will probably make me want to kick my own ass, but as a Christian I think we all also need to think about what Jesus would want us to do in these times. I think He would want us to look at our neighbors not with contempt for all the ways that they have messed up, but instead He would want us to start shilling out some good old fashion forgiveness. Everyone makes mistakes. High powered CEOs and elderly grandmothers. We need to forgive, teach new strategies, make new laws and help people get back on their own feet and stay there on their own, eventually without the government.
This is just my two cents friends. You can agree or disagree, and we can still be best buds, but I felt like I just needed to get this off my chest. Thanks for listening.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Umm...I'm not exactly sure what "mess" our country is in. They have not mentioned this at all on Sid the Science Kid, or on American Idol. I guess I need to branch out in my tv viewing ;)
Just kidding, preach on!
I love what you write. :)
I always love your posts! I think one really good thing that is/will come out of this economic crisis is that there will be a lot fewer "spoiled Americans". We have/had it so GOOD in this country and we kind of need this to humble ourselves. I think America's sense of entitlement is going to be lessened which is wonderful. Please understand that I don't mean that I have not been guilty of being a 'spoiled American' on occasion because I have.
Well written girl...... I agree with Miss Jen B.. the big lesson here for me is live simply. We tend to be responsible but I was not always that way.....I think Greed got us in this mess. Alot of greed by a lot of different people. I agree completely on let's forgive and do what we have to get the heck out of this HOLE. and the cool thing is I think WE WOMEN have got the head and heart to take the right kind of action especially as moms... and teach our babies to be responsible, tell the truth and live honestly etc etc etc...... I love a smart thinking MOM! It is what fuels the WORLD!!!!! Thanks for the well written view. HUGS G PS:I am a DEMOCRAT by the way...lol
Agreed on all accounts even down to voter registration and who you voted for...
Personally, I enjoy the juxtaposition of the two latest posts. :) Next, I would like to hear Molly's opinion on the economy!
Post a Comment