Friday, July 2, 2010

One Kid, Two Wheels

If anyone watches me with my daughter, they might assume I am the worst mother in the world. There is a lot of tough love between us, but I learned early on in our relationship that it's a tactic that works.

Whenever Molly decides for some arbitrary reason that she does not want to do something that I know she will love doing once she gives it a chance, she gets the tough love. Swimming, learning to read, joining Girl Scouts, and now riding her bike. (This is a truncated list.)

At one point, hysterically sobbing, she asked me how much longer she had to continue to ride the dreaded bike. My response was, "until you like it."

Well, she officially loves riding her bike - without the training wheels... sweet vindication!


5 comments:

ODonnell Family Blog said...

I love the fear/determination on her face.

Beth said...

"until you like it." Now that is going to be my phrase of the day. love it!

melissa said...

How exciting!!!! I also love the phrase "until you like it" Good job Molly!! She will thank you one day! But dont be surprised when your 80 years old and you ask her how long you have to stay at the nursing home and she throws that line back at you. lol. Melissa C

megan said...

We are SO PROUD of you, Molly!!!! Lexi is dying to come ride bikes with you!!!! (since no one here likes to ride with her...) She keeps asking when Molly's bike party will be :)

Unknown said...

melissa - i definitely see a nursing home in my future!! = )