Thursday, April 22, 2010

Walk of Shame

It's been many (many) years since my last official walk of shame. However, this morning's walk may prove to be my most shameful.


This morning was the first morning in 8 months that Molly left her lunchbox on the kitchen counter. She realized this fact as we pulled into the parking lot. Tears abound. Given that there are no school lunches at her school, my decision was between driving 20 minutes back home, followed by 20 minutes back to school, followed by 20 minutes back home (for those of you without a calculator, that's a full hour of driving) OR stop at the Wal-Mart 1.5 miles from her school to pick her something up. The choice seemed clear cut, except for one thing...


In the world of children, sleep is a hot commodity. Much of my life revolves around when and how I can get more. Kind of like having a sleep addiction. So there are some mornings when I lay in bed and think "I could sleep 5 more minutes if I didn't bother to get Brody or I dressed today." So, some mornings, I don't. This morning was one of those mornings.


Enter my dilemma. An hour drive or braving Wal-Mart in my pajamas. And not just "t-shirt and sweatpant"pajamas that I could try to pass off as just being a poor dresser - pajama pajamas. Pajamas that made it very evident that I was wearing nothing underneath. And it was cold.


We pull into the parking lot of the Wal-Mart and I started to panic. Would I see someone I would know? Would I be arrested as a unfit mother? I tried to avoid making eye contact as I entered, but the greeter lady got me with her "Good morning!" I quietly explained to her that I was so sorry that I was in my pajamas but I wasn't intending on shopping before I got dressed. She told me I wasn't the first person to arrive this morning in their pajamas. This did not make me feel better given the usual Wal-Mart clientele.


To make a long story short, I grabbed an apple, a banana, and a lunchable and got the heck out of there. Dropping off the "lunch" to Molly's teacher in her room was no less embarrassing.


So I guess from now on I will be getting 5 minutes less sleep every morning and will instead use that time to actually put clothes on just in case. Be sure to check out www.peopleofwalmart.com to see if this morning's adventure landed me a spot as a "wal-creature."

5 comments:

Amy J said...

at least you were wearing pj's at a time of day where they're not uncommon! I forgot to pick up Ava from school one day (big shame on me from Ava). When I realized what time it was I just grabbed Maddux and we bolted out the door. I had on pajama pajama pants. What I wasn't anticipating was that when you are late you have to go in the school to pick them up. So I had to go in in my pj's, Maddux in bare feet amongst all the teachers on carpool duty. yeah, that was fun.

Jennifer B. said...

Sort of the opposite happened to me today. I was about to leave the house w/o extra milk for the baby. I thought, "I don't need it. I'm only taking Ty to preschool and am coming right back home." But I'm one of those weirdo's that thinks there will be some sort of accident in which I'll be stranded for hours and will be up a creek w/o a paddle. So, I packed the extra milk! I'm usually like that when I drive. I enjoyed your story, Elaine!

Beth said...

ahahahahaah too funny!!! Don't worry, I've unsubscribed to people of walmart. Too depressing seeing all those people in their pajamas. :)

megan said...

LOL, hilarious!!! And this is where we differ...I wouldn't have thought twice about it--I would happily drive an extra hour to avoid stepping foot into walmart like that. Call me vain. ;)

SwD said...

When in Wal-mart, do as the Wal-martians. And I don't want to call you out in a public forum but I recall you going to HIGH SCHOOL in your pajamas...and sometimes other family members' sweatpants. Plus, as a side note, you probably looked HOT in your pjs. :)